cat urine and hydrogen peroxide

Talk about anything you like. Get to know your autistic online neighbors and let them get to know you; show them your humor, your friendliness, your OBSESSIONS...

cat urine and hydrogen peroxide

Postby Sophist » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:35 pm

Okay, my cats have a little problem-- mainly of peeing in places I'd rather they not. Like the carpet. Or my bed.

I read online that using a spray with 3% hydrogen peroxide does a good job (in tandem with a pet odor neutralizer) of getting rid of that odor and stain. But, my question to anyone with experience with hydrogen peroxide, if I were to soak a blanket in it, would that damage the blanket at all, change any coloring, etc.???

My blog: Science Over a Cuppa - scienceoveracuppa.com
Manny's blog: Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/
Sophist
Site Admin

Re: cat urine and hydrogen peroxide

Postby Charlie » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:44 pm

From a scientific point of view, hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is a very good reducing agent, wanting to react where possible to form water and oxygen. When I had an ingrowing toenail I used to apply it (5% soln) to my infection to help clean it, and did spill it once on the carpet, which caused no ill effects to the fabric.

Dont take this as definite proof, but due to the willingness to want to react as above it is less likely to react with the fabric or dyes in it, so should be fine. I would still check it on an inconspicuous bit first.
"When the winds of change blow, some people build walls and others build windmills." - Chinese proverb
Charlie
Site Admin

Postby SomethingElse » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:01 am

Have they always done this or have they just started too? :?

Oscar and Cleo go in their litter tray or outside and have done since day one. My mum puts it down to their mum being a very good mum (she was very clean and she's taught them to be very clean, basically - my mum put a box of dirt outside when they were still feral and they immediately started using it - that was to stop them from doing their business on the grass).

I know this isn't answering your question, but surely there's a way to persuade them to start using their litter tray? Is there any reason that, if they were to begin with, they might have stopped?

Could it be about territory (you said your cats have separate areas, whereas Cleo and Oscar don't, so I suppose they know they share everything and have no need to 'own' parts of the house)? If so, maybe you could just use extra litter trays? So that they each have their own? Apparently, in households with multiple cats, if one of them is above the others in hierarchy they sometimes won't cover their business (because it's like... showing they're boss and they own everything).
SomethingElse
The Lone Pirate

Postby Sophist » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:33 am

The problem started because of Sugar, who doesn't usually squat low enough to consistently pee into the litter box and hence frequently pees over the side, blocking the box for the other cats. Unfortunately, not only does it require a considerable amount of work to clean all this up to keep the pathway clear, but I'm not home enough to ensure that I could keep it clean every time it happens.

Sugar also loves to pee on fabrics, so when given the opportunity she will. It's a random cat thing which I've spoken to the vet about on numerous occasions: there are just some cats who LOVE to pee on fabric. (Hence, peeing in blankets and my bed. :? )

So, what with all these problems, Sugar's actions have affected JonJon, one of my other cats, to the point that wherever he smells urine (in the carpet or in the blankets), he now thinks it's acceptable to pee there.

I am not Sugar's first owner and I'm guessing this was the reason she was at the APA in the first place where I got her. Very early on I discovered that Sugar loved to pee on clothes/blankets and that she pees over the side of the box, so I quickly learned that I can't have anything where she can get to it (she unfortunately keeps learning new fascinating ways to get to blankets and clothes) and that I could not use a conventional-size litterbox; so they now have rather tall-sided container for a litterbox (I can't make it any taller without them being able to not get into it).

I've just bought a tarp to put over my bed. And JonJon is no longer allowed into the living room without my supervision (the living room carpet has become his new "place"). And the litterbox has been moved into the center of the kitchen floor (for now) so that there are multiple ways to get to the box. Sugar has also gotten worse and now thinks that provided she puts her front feet into the box, that her back feet can stay up on the rim (hence the peeing over). Most cats do want to use the box and cover up their stuff, but Sugar, unfortunately, is not one of those cats; she would use blankets if she had her druthers.

I also got some of that carpet cleaner for pet urine (which I'm not totally convinced it's working, but then they are old stains rather than fresh, which makes a difference).

What I'd really love to get for my blankets is to find something I can put in the wash cycle which will break down those urine proteins. That would be perfect. But all the stuff I've found so far are liquids that don't go into the wash; you have to basically soak the clothing/blanket in the liquid, let it dry, then wash it. Which, basically, one little bottle of that only does half a blanket or two shirts (and it's expensive). :?

Sophist
Site Admin

Postby Charlie » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:39 am

You need something like this - there are loads of products over here which could be suitable, so there must be something.

http://www.vanish.co.uk/vanish_laundry.shtml#inwash
"When the winds of change blow, some people build walls and others build windmills." - Chinese proverb
Charlie
Site Admin

Postby Sophist » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:43 am

yessuh wrote:You need something like this - there are loads of products over here which could be suitable, so there must be something.

http://www.vanish.co.uk/vanish_laundry.shtml#inwash

I'd need something that specifically could target urine proteins. Would that still work? It's not the stains that are an issue (actually, usually, there are no stains); it's the odor.

Sophist
Site Admin

Postby Aspen » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:26 am

I think that Biz has enzymes in it that break down proteins, so you could use it on your blankets and clothing.

I wonder if something like Oxy Clean would help the carpet spots.

I would be afraid that the hydrogen peroxide might bleach out spots on the carpet.
Aspen
Site Admin

Postby Sophist » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:32 pm

Aspen wrote:I think that Biz has enzymes in it that break down proteins, so you could use it on your blankets and clothing.

Ah, Biz does? Interesting, I'll look into that. :)

Sophist
Site Admin

Postby SomethingElse » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:36 pm

Sophist wrote:The problem started because of Sugar, who doesn't usually squat low enough to consistently pee into the litter box and hence frequently pees over the side, blocking the box for the other cats. Unfortunately, not only does it require a considerable amount of work to clean all this up to keep the pathway clear, but I'm not home enough to ensure that I could keep it clean every time it happens.

Ah. Cleo used to miss when using the litter tray, but she seems to have either worked it out now or she's doing her business more often outside. I think it's the latter.
SomethingElse
The Lone Pirate

Postby Sophist » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:51 pm

Benji wrote:
Sophist wrote:The problem started because of Sugar, who doesn't usually squat low enough to consistently pee into the litter box and hence frequently pees over the side, blocking the box for the other cats. Unfortunately, not only does it require a considerable amount of work to clean all this up to keep the pathway clear, but I'm not home enough to ensure that I could keep it clean every time it happens.

Ah. Cleo used to miss when using the litter tray, but she seems to have either worked it out now or she's doing her business more often outside. I think it's the latter.

Sugar doesn't seem to squat at all. I talked to the vet about it, along with her general backside sensitivity, and the vet said it might be arthritis or she may have even been involved in an accident (e.g., hit by a car) before I owned her. She was already about 7 yo by the time I adopted her. She's about 13.5 now.

Sophist
Site Admin

Postby SomethingElse » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:54 pm

... Cleo's just ditzy. :lol:
SomethingElse
The Lone Pirate

Postby Sophist » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:10 pm

Benji wrote:... Cleo's just ditzy. :lol:

:lol:

I can't blame them. I couldn't promise I'd be able to aim any better. :lol:

Sophist
Site Admin

Postby beware_the_sluagh » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:19 pm

Here's something I read recently

you can also use white vinegar and it will work to remove the residual "only cats can smell me" smell. it's got something to do with cat pee crystalizing and needing some sort of enzyme to break it up and remove it completely, but white vinegar works too. for something as large as a blanket i'd probably pour in about 1/4 or 1/3 of one of those huge 4L bottles into the washing cycle :)

So, assuming that's correct, then that would be useful :)
"Your typical day is full of moments where you ask for a cup of coffee and someone hands you a bag of nails."
- Scott Adams
"But not to worry, you've still got your chicken. As long as you don't lose your chicken you'll come out of it okay." - ruth
beware_the_sluagh
Nomad of the Time Streams

Postby Sophist » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:30 am

beware_the_sluagh wrote:Here's something I read recently

you can also use white vinegar and it will work to remove the residual "only cats can smell me" smell. it's got something to do with cat pee crystalizing and needing some sort of enzyme to break it up and remove it completely, but white vinegar works too. for something as large as a blanket i'd probably pour in about 1/4 or 1/3 of one of those huge 4L bottles into the washing cycle :)

So, assuming that's correct, then that would be useful :)

Ooh! And cheaper! :D I'm gonna try that. Aggie and Kim on How Clean Is Your House go ga-ga over white vinegar. :lol: They'd be so proud of me!

Sophist
Site Admin

Postby beware_the_sluagh » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:34 am

of course, you have to make sure the vinegar washes out good so your house doesn't smell of vinegar instead... But at least the smell of vinegar won't encourage the cats to pee there in the future like the cat pee smell does.
"Your typical day is full of moments where you ask for a cup of coffee and someone hands you a bag of nails."
- Scott Adams
"But not to worry, you've still got your chicken. As long as you don't lose your chicken you'll come out of it okay." - ruth
beware_the_sluagh
Nomad of the Time Streams

Next

Return to Chitty Chatty Bang Bang