The news.

Find an interesting piece about world issues? Post it here and discuss. BUT... keep it friendly! ;)

The news.

Postby anthonylee » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:45 pm

Does anyone else not like watching the news? It's too negative! There are good things that happen in the world, but we seldom hear much about them! Why do so many people thrive on human tradgety and disasters? I don't understand it !! :?:
anthonylee
Basal Ganglia

Re: The news.

Postby Charlie » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:54 am

Admittedly I do not watch much TV anyway, but the negativity is one of the reasons why I tend to get my news online. Of course the disasters sell stories still, but at least it is easier to get light-hearted news as well.

The problem is that it is invariably bad things which are out of the ordinary. Me and millions of other people not being murdered today is nothing new, so a murder for example is different from convention and what should happen in the process of daily life.

Yes, it is possible to have positive stories, but these are usually less attention gaining than disasters. I do think it is funny (in a peculiar way) that an earthquake or flood on the other side of the world can get hours of news coverage for days afterwards when (being somewhat callous) it has minimal, if any, impact on my life. I admit is worthy of a report on the news - no problems there, but after that why can they not focus on more local news which may involve my being.
"When the winds of change blow, some people build walls and others build windmills." - Chinese proverb
Charlie
Site Admin

Postby anthonylee » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:19 am

I get my news online for the most part and seldom watch any on TV. I'm not saying we should hide from bad things that happen in the world , but not to dwell on them with morbid obsession! This is a very unhealthy thing to look at the negatives and not the positives!
anthonylee
Basal Ganglia

Postby Sophist » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:59 pm

When I had tv and did watch any news, I always preferred The Daily Show. Prefer my news with humor. ;)

My blog: Science Over a Cuppa - scienceoveracuppa.com
Manny's blog: Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/
Sophist
Site Admin

Postby anthonylee » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:42 pm

Sophist wrote:When I had tv and did watch any news, I always preferred The Daily Show. Prefer my news with humor. ;)

That is a good way to cope with the news Sophist! :oldlol:
anthonylee
Basal Ganglia

Postby goddessoflubbock » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:36 pm

When we moved from the Philly area to Texas, the first thing we noticed was the lack of body bags and chalk outlines on the news.

It seemed we moved to a much safer place.

In reality, we just moved to a place where they chose to keep the bad news under wraps. You'd only hear about a murder when someone was arrested as part of an "ongoing investigation".

It's gotten better, but in these parts you will still vener see a body bag on tv.
"shorter of breath, and one day closer to death" - Pink Floyd

“There is no such thing as 'on the way out' as long as you are still doing something interesting and good; you're in the business because you're breathing” Louis Armstrong
goddessoflubbock
Site Admin

Postby Charlie » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:44 am

goddessoflubbock wrote:When we moved from the Philly area to Texas, the first thing we noticed was the lack of body bags and chalk outlines on the news.

It seemed we moved to a much safer place.

In reality, we just moved to a place where they chose to keep the bad news under wraps. You'd only hear about a murder when someone was arrested as part of an "ongoing investigation".

It's gotten better, but in these parts you will still vener see a body bag on tv.

Perhaps it is also because it is that much more common where you are now it is not newsworthy any more :shock: :eyebrows:
"When the winds of change blow, some people build walls and others build windmills." - Chinese proverb
Charlie
Site Admin

Postby goddessoflubbock » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:59 pm

It's true - the murder and other violent crimes rate has skyrocketed in the 9 years we've been here.

Especially the random murders. People who run with a bad crowd can expect a bad end maybe. But an elderly guy cleaning his car in his garage on a hot day who offers a passing stranger cold water?

“There is no such thing as 'on the way out' as long as you are still doing something interesting and good; you're in the business because you're breathing” Louis Armstrong
goddessoflubbock
Site Admin

Postby anthonylee » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:20 pm

goddessoflubbock wrote:It's true - the murder and other violent crimes rate has skyrocketed in the 9 years we've been here.

Especially the random murders. People who run with a bad crowd can expect a bad end maybe. But an elderly guy cleaning his car in his garage on a hot day who offers a passing stranger cold water?

The crime is made far worse by the victim being some one who cares enough to help out some one!
It's not so bad if the crime commited is against another criminal!!!
anthonylee
Basal Ganglia

Postby TheZach » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:08 pm

I do have a TV, however we don't watch cable or over the air television on it. It displays Netflix and Amazon instant streaming along with Diggnation, My Drunk Kitchen, Twit and a few other things.

As far as news, I get that online.
TheZach
Frontal Lobe

Postby AKAConlang » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:12 am

I got into watching the news a while ago, but then I stopped when CNN waited until the day before the internet blackout to report on SOPA and PIPA, and oh yeah, the people who knew anything about it all hated it and the parent company of CNN "supports it." Insofar as a corporation can be said to support anything. After that day, things like JAck Cafferty saying we should try "trickle up economics" and that tax cuts for the rich are "class warfare" as much as tax increases just seemed like cynical attempts to get attention.

Don't get me wrong, I'll flick it on every once in a while, but I no longer consider it a source of information.
I have many names...

Come see some of my artwork http://siochanna.deviantart.com/

adhocisadirtyword wrote:ALASKAN WOLVES
SHOOT PALIN FROM A HELICOPTER

Sophist wrote:Every time Halle Berry makes a horrible entrance, another child turns autistic...
AKAConlang
Inferior Colliculi

Postby goddessoflubbock » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:46 am

I don't get news from tv anymore - it is far too tilted and one-sided.

TV is for entertainment. I get my news either from people on the scene via social media or through various online sources.

goddessoflubbock
Site Admin

Return to News on the Outside