RESEARCHERS' TERMS OF SERVICE:Please read this carefully. Any rule-breaking concerning these Terms of Service will result in the immediate ban of the researcher. Any researcher(s) who is wishing to approach Gestalt members for participation in a research study must do the following BEFORE posting on Gestalt:
1. Contact an administrator on Gestalt via the Private Messaging system to propose the idea, what the study is about, what your intentions are with regards to any information gleaned from Gestalt, and how this information is to be used.
2. Provide the Gestalt administrator all relevant information: name, professional title, associated university and department or business, license number and state of licensure (US), and contact information (email and business phone preferred). If some of this information isn't applicable, please explain further citing the reasons why. And if you are a student, please provide ALL the above information for your research supervisor and all applicable information on yourself.
3. In your post to the Research Projects & Studies
subforum, please provide an adequate description of the purpose and general design of your study. If a general description of the true design of your study is not possible, please cite to administrators the reason(s) why. In addition to your study description, please include: a) any potential risks to the participant, b) any potential benefits to the participant and the larger science, c) whether reimbursement for participation will be offered, and d) reassurance of confidentiality of the participant.
4. Please state in your post to the administration whether a Withdrawal Without Penalty
option will be made available to participants. This does not need to be included in your public post, but as administrators wishing to protect our members we will prefer this option is available if we are to support your research.
5. Your research study MUST be overseen by an Ethics Committee. No study will be allowed here on Gestalt without this. If you do not provide this information, the administrator will ask you this before you are given permission to post your study.
6. That you, as a professional, agree to relegate all study-related posts to the Research Projects & Studies
sub-forum. Any posts of this nature in any of the other sub-forums on Gestalt will be moved or deleted if inappropriate. Any posts made in the other forums must be made by you simply as a "member" who wishes to interact socially with our community.
7. That you, as a professional mindful of the privacy and feelings of Gestalt's members, do promise not to take advantage of the information provided in these forums without the knowledge and permission of Gestalt administrators and the posting member, him- or herself.
8. The anonymity of all Gestalt's members will remain absolute without the EXPRESS permission of that member. Any permission given to waive the confidentiality of any given member must follow the guidelines of confidentiality and patient privacy as dictated by your relevant ethics committee(s).
9. All research inspired or quoted from Gestalt MUST be cited in the study and permission granted separately from the Gestalt admin staff and the posting member. Gestalt must be cited and, if the posting member wishes it, the member as well. If there is a specific quote you are interested in using either verbatim or in summarizing or paraphrasing, contact the Gestalt administrators for permission. We will then mediate and contact the member for their permission as well.
10. If permission to post in Research Projects & Studies
is given, when posting, please be as descriptive of the study and your information as possible.
11. No contact is allowed from researcher-to-member in the Private Messaging system on matters related to the study; social contact is acceptable. All members will be urged to report any research-related PMs to staff immediately. If a member contacts you first, please contact the Gestalt staff for permission BEFORE replying so we can be kept abreast.
12. That the researcher(s) agrees to provide Gestalt with a write-up or summation of the study results to be posted in the Research subforum of Gestalt for reference. If the published article, itself, is available under copyright for reprint, a copy would be appreciated as well.
13. Finally, as stated above, any researcher who blatantly disregards ANY of these Terms of Service will be banned from Gestalt and will be reported to their respective IRB and/or ethics committee. In the case of a student, the supervising researcher AND the student will be reported.
When you contact an administrator via our Private Messaging system to obtain permission, please make it clear that you have read and agree to all 13 points laid out here in the Researchers' Terms of Service.
For any questions as to who is part of the administrating staff, please see here
Thank you.Last edited: 03/04/2010